Friday, May 26, 2017

TO IMPROVE ENGLISH KNOWLEDGE

Hi friends,


A friend compared me to another writer. When I verified, I found he writes in Tamil and he is very popular. I also found many writers write in Tamil. Their followers also commented in Tamil. I wish to tell you why I  prefer to write in English though my mother tongue is Tamil.


To write in the mother tongue is easy. They write on various topics like politics, religion, cinema to attract the attention of people for popularity. Mostly, it is based on controversial subjects in which people are interested. Being the mother tongue, many come forward to participate in the debate.


At the age of 10, I had run a handwritten Tamil Magazine under the caption KALANJIYAM. It was appreciated by one and all. That effort gave me the impetus to write. I know chaste Tamil and I do not wish to write in Tamil because the standard of English has gone down so badly in Tamil Nadu.


A few years back, I talked to a student who had secured more than 90% in the plus 2 exams.  To my surprise, he could not talk or write even a single sentence in English. He miserably failed in the entrance exam for Engg. Even graduates do not speak or write in English without any mistakes.


Politicians came to the rescue of such poor students by bringing down the eligibility marks from 70% to 40% and finally got the exam scraped. One day the entire state will be full of engineers without any job. Knowledge of English and Hindi is very essential to go out of the state for more opportunities.


When I was young, I was also very poor in English. I was reprimanded by my father and the superior in the office. I had to leave many jobs due to the lack of English knowledge. I took a vow that I shall improve and within a few years, I developed and reached this stage. Even now I am learning.


I am an ordinary person. I am not highly qualified. I have improved on my own efforts and hard work. To learn swimming, one has to plunge into the water. You cannot learn by standing on the bank of the river. To improve English knowledge, one should talk, write, speak, learn all the time.


That is why I write in English to improve my standard as well as for others to learn. I write in simple language easy to understand for the common man. I do not use bombastic words to show off myself. I write only for the development of the society and not for name or fame.




  


1 comment :

  1. I am surprised to read your article THE WRITING IS ON THE WALL. What I thought the same things are reflecting like, simplicity, sweet English, Sharing experience good for society, younger generation can more learn in English. Again thank you for giving your good things to our younger generation by your great writing.

    ReplyDelete