Tuesday, April 3, 2018

THE TEACHINGS OF A SAINT

During the late 1980s, I was working in a chemical company situated in the southern part of Tamil Nadu. The management took great interest in religious activities also. There was a beautiful Vinayakar temple, an auditorium, recreation club and a guest house within the premises. Eminent personalities were regularly invited to give lectures on various subjects. 

His Holiness Shri Bheerth Swamigal, Sankaracharya of Shri Sringeri Mutt was once invited to give a lecture. The program was scheduled to start at 6 PM in the auditorium. All the people assembled on time. As per custom, men, while visiting a temple or a religious head, were not supposed to wear a dress above their waist.


The swami's voice was reverberating in the hall. After the prayer, he said, " for those who are performing their duties without like or dislike, those who are making their parents happy, those who are helping the poor to their might, and those who are worshiping God daily, I have nothing to preach. They are already fulfilling the purpose for which they are born".


I remembered, my father also told me the very same words when I was young. I have been trying to practice these principles in my life for a very long time. I was wondering how my father was able to give similar advice like that of the great saint.

No comments :

Post a Comment