Tuesday, April 3, 2018

THE ART OF STORY TELLING TO KIDS

At 54, when I got my first grandson Chi Pranav, I was in cloud nine. I used to carry him across the streets and teach him a car, cow, tree, etc. en route. When he was 2 years old, he used to cuddle with me in bed and asked me to tell him a story. I told him the Lion and Mouse story wherein the mouse intelligently killed the lion in a well.

I told the story with all fanfare and action and roared like a lion etc. to make him fear but he was smiling at me with his eyes wide open. I also made some interim questions and he answered them correctly. After the story was over, when I asked him whether he feared the lion, he said he would kill the lion himself if it came before him.


My wife chided me for scaring our grandson by roaring like a lion without knowing the fact that the little fellow was not at all perturbed by my antics. She took him away but only to return him after he cried to come back to me to listen to my story. My daughter, smiling like a Mona Lisa, enjoyed her parent's association with her kid.


Whenever he wanted a story I repeated the same. One day, he asked for a different story, I could not tell him as I did not know any other kid's story. I just managed by telling him the same story changing the lion into a tiger and the mouse into a squirrel. He said it was the same story and not a different one and he did not like it.


I appreciated his intelligence but I could not tell him a different story. He then did not ask for any story saying that he was fed up with lion and mouse story. The same scenario was repeated after 4 years with my second grandson Chi. Keshav and then after another 4 years with the granddaughter sow.Sahana when they were two years old.


Now 18 years have passed and Chi. Pranav has completed his school education in the US and wants to pursue a career in Astro-Physics in the college. Even now whenever we meet he used to cuddle with me and lay beside me in the bed and start telling me the lion and mouse story. It is now my turn to tell him that I am fed up with the story.


When children get fed up with repetitive stories how about adults. I repeatedly write on family values, parents, old age problems etc neglecting hot topics on politics, cinema etc by which people will surely get fed up. Don't you think so? I am not also willing to write on those topics to make it interesting. 


At 73, my eyesight also has become poor. I have written 440 articles and 1400 snippets. It is high time that I should hang my gloves. I also thank everyone who has encouraged me to write.  I thank you for your wishes and support. My FaceBook Page will function as usual. Goodbye. May God bless you all.

No comments :

Post a Comment