Tuesday, December 10, 2019

PAKODA AS SIDE DISH

In the late 1960s, when I was a bachelor, I was residing near Pondy bazaar in T.Nagar, Chennai. I was having night dinner in the hotels mainly in Geetha cafe in Pondy bazaar. It was an unlimited meal for Re.1. If I bought tickets, then 30 tickets cost Rs.25. I used to buy one ticket book every month.

Daily at 7 PM, they put up a blackboard outside the hotel mentioning the items for the dinner. If it was to my liking, I would enter. Otherwise, I would go to another hotel until I finally settle in a hotel. Sometimes, for obvious reasons, I had to dine at Geetha cafe using the tickets.

Mr. Jayaraman was a regular and he used to come at the same time when I came. Sometimes, he sat beside me and we became friends. Later I came to know that he was my close friend's uncle. He was working in Sundaram Clayton and he was a great fan of Liz Taylor. 

I did not tell him I liked Gina Lollobrigida. He used to buy Pakoda regularly for a side dish. It was 25 paise for 100 grams. He used to give me a few pieces even if I rejected it for I did not want to get into a habit.

Slowly, I was caught in the vicious cycle. To reciprocate his gesture, I started buying on alternate days. It was wonderful to have pakoda as a side dish for a meal. That habit remained with me until I got married. After marriage, I left the habit with great difficulty as my wife cooked wonderful side dishes.

N.B. I came to know that Mr. Jayaraman has recently died. May his soul rest in peace.




No comments :

Post a Comment