Tuesday, June 27, 2017

WE ARE FRIENDS BUT POLES APART

Whenever I pass through Purasawalkam circle in Chennai, I never failed to pray to the Vinayagar temple on the pavement near Gangadeeswarar temple. I have been doing this for the past 50 years since 1967 when I used to go to the office by that route. 


My friend who is a non-believer would wait for me a few yards ahead. We were close friends. He was 6 years elder to me. Daily we went to the office and returned together. We were poles apart but we remained as friends.


I am a brahmin and he is a non-brahmin. I believed in God but he did not. I am a follower of  Paramacharya and he was a supporter of Dr. Kalaignar M.Karunanidhi. I am a vegetarian and he is a non-vegetarian. I was a spendthrift and he was a vagabond.  


I bought "The Hindu" newspaper but he bought "Murasoli". I lent him money and he took hand loan from me. I was supporting my parents but he was carefree. I did not have fancy for any artists but he was a fan of Sivaji Ganesan. I am a graduate but he was a matriculate.


When he visited my house, he used to wait until I finished my prayer, puja or rituals. When we went to the hotel, cinema, park, beach, etc. we shared the expenses. When we ate together we used to take items mutually from the other's plate. We always shared a cool drink. 


We never commented on other's views, opinions, actions, outlook, and attitude. We accepted each other as they were. We ignored the minus and took the plus. Friendship was our main concern.  He is no more. He had passed away in 1997.


The Lord himself gave two options to the Dwarapalakas for coming back into his fold either after 10 births as his disciple or after 3 births as his non-believer. I wonder about these options. I presume my friend had opted the second to reach the Lord early but I have to wait for another 7 births.


I think there are various reasons for a person to be a believer or non-believer of God. Mainly, it depends on his parents, lifestyle, circumstances, and upbringing. Secondly their own attitude in taking success or failure in life. Thirdly what happens in critical situations when things are beyond their control.


It is possible to live harmoniously together provided we follow only one principle. NEVER DISCUSS, DEBATE, DISPUTE AND DENOUNCE OTHER'S BELIEF. MAY GOD BLESS YOU.






No comments :

Post a Comment