Friday, June 2, 2017

A HELP IN TIME

Hi friends,


In 1985, I was 40, and I was working in a chemical company in south Tamilnadu. In my house in Chennai, my brother was residing. After he had vacated, I had rented it out to another tenant who was a brahmin belonging to the vaishnavite sect.


My brother had taken up another house for rent near my house. The owner was also a brahmin. At that time my brother was the only person living in Chennai. My father who was getting treatment in Apollo died in Jan 1985 due to cardiac arrest. His body was brought to my brother's house.


The cremation was to take place on the next day after the arrival of other sons, daughters, and relatives. A non-brahmin, who was residing in the adjacent house was providing us with coffee etc as cooking was not allowed in the house until the dead body was taken for the funeral.


The house owner who returned from office in the evening, instead of sympathizing with us, shouted and questioned us how we could bring the dead body into his house without his permission. We were shocked when he said the rituals should not be performed in his house. We were clueless. 


It was the first tragedy in our family. All of us were grieving. The neighbour tried to convince the house owner but it was of no avail. He was firm on his stand. Then I thought of doing the last rites in my house. I went to my house along with my wife to request the tenant to help me.


He welcomed us with all courtesy. I explained to him the precarious situation we were in and sought his help. He said he had no objection to help but he had an aged father and he had to seek his permission. He said his father had gone to his brother's house and would return in an hour.


We went there again after an hour. By that time his father had returned. On seeing him, I lost all hopes. For, he was about 80 and had very orthodox looks. As his son had gone out, I started to explain the situation to him. He said his son had already told him. I was stunned by his reaction.


I quote his very words. "The foremost duty of a person is to perform the last rites for his father. I am very glad to see you seeking permission to do it in your house. It is your house. If I do not help you, when you are in need, I am not human. I will lock all items in one room and vacate the house in one hour." Some people are born great.


No comments :

Post a Comment