Monday, June 19, 2017

INTELLECTUAL GROWTH

Hi friends,

What we liked when we are a kid we don't like it later. Our taste goes on changing every day until we die. It is intellectual growth. I am able to see this growth in my attitude. What I liked 10 years back, I don't like it now.


Recently, I happen to interact with a young man who is 22, an engineer and working, He used to discuss with me on various subjects including his family matters. On his request, I used to extend some advice to solve the problems to the extent of my knowledge.


One day, the subject turned out to book. Reading is my passion and I always advise people to read good books. The beauty of reading is that the taste changes frequently and you wish to go to a higher standard due to your intellectual growth.


There are so many categories of books like fiction, politics, religion, spiritualism, cinema, jokes, sports, etc. Everyone has their own taste and it is their nature. In good human relations communication is important. We should talk only what the other person likes and not otherwise.

.
However, it is different when you deal with elderly people whom you consider knowledgeable and who are interested in you. I am 50 years elder to him and assuming one book per month, I would have read about 500 books more than him. I wanted to suggest good books suitable for his age.

The irony is, I can suggest a book for him but he cannot suggest for me due to the age factor. It looked as if he has read some books and he talked high about an author whose books I have also read. According to me, he is not a good author and he writes with perverted views. 


With some concern for my friend, I said he is not a good author and I do not like to read his books. He became furious and started abusing me in strong words as if he knows the author. I felt humiliated and stopped all contacts with him. It is very difficult, to be honest nowadays.

No comments :

Post a Comment