Wednesday, July 17, 2019

WHEN I FIRST LANDED AT MADRAS

On a warm sunny morning in June 1967, when I was 22, I landed at Madras.  I just had a set of pant and shirt, a set of dhoti, innerwear, a towel, a shoe and socks, a tie and Rs 50/. At first, I was bewildered at the look of the city. I had come in search of prosperity. There were 14 members in my family including my parents, 3 grandparents and nine children. My last brother was just three then.


I did not even have a place to stay. I did not know where to go. I went to Triplicane where my grandfather had some relatives. But they were not ready to welcome me. I went to T.Nagar, where my elder brother had a colleague. He was also unable to offer me some space sighting family reasons. I started understanding people and the world. 


I stayed in the Mambalam railway station for a day at the courtesy of the station master. I took up a room in the nearby Railway border road for Rs.20/ pm to be shared with 2, with common bath and toilet. I searched for jobs from 8 AM to 8 PM. I went around the city, mostly on foot, entering each and every office requesting for a job. 


I could not afford meals thrice a day as the cash was dwindling. I had to keep a balance of Rs.6 for the return journey to Tiruchy.  Every day, when the meals section was opened at 7 PM in the hotel, I was the first to enter. It was an unlimited meal for Re.1/. I took to my full stomach so that I could manage until the next day at 7 PM. 


At first,  I got a job in an Auditors office as an Article clerk. The salary was 70/ PM. I could have managed with that money and prepared for C.A. But I had to wait for a month to get the salary and I won't be able to send anything to my parents. I worked there only for a few days. With the cash balance coming down, fear engulfed me leading to sleepless nights. 


I could not face the ignominy of going back to Tiruchy jobless. One day, after dinner at 7 PM, while I was walking along Usman Road, I saw a textile shop. I met the proprietor Mr. Harikrishnan and requested him for a job. He was a kind man and a north Indian. He was impressed and appointed me as an accountant. 


I was to look after sales also. The timing was 10 to 1 and 4 to 9. The salary was 300/ PM. Tea in the morning and evening was provided. Knowing my condition, he gave me some advance. From that month onwards, I started sending 100 or 125 PM to my father till 1982 when he asked me to stop. 


It was only a temporary footing. I worked there for a few months. I should get a decent job in a big company. During the lunchtime of 3 hours, I continued my search. I also sent applications through the post. God should have mercy on me. Even now, when I walked along that road, I get fond memories of the past.



No comments :

Post a Comment