Sunday, November 13, 2016

WE REAP WHAT WE SOW

Hi friends,

In 1983, when I was 38, I was working in the Export sales Dept. of a leading textile company in Chennai. There were about 40 to 45 people. The dept was divided into 7 or 8 sections and each section had 4 or 5 people. I had worked in every section spanning about 17 years.

Mr.Koteeswaran was my senior. One day, he asked me for a loan of Rs.200/. I was surprised because it was the salary day. When I asked him the reason, he said he had repaid his entire salary towards the loans received during the previous month.

In other words, he was simply living on loans. He was not well-to-do. He had three kids. He told me that one Mr. Sreeram was giving loans repayable on the next payday for interest at the rate of Rs.5 per 100. I thought it was very high. I sympathized with him and gave him the money.

I wanted to help a suffering man. I lent him Rs.1200 to clear all his loans and to repay me at 100 per month in 12 months without any interest and on one condition, that he should never take any loan thereafter. He agreed and thanked me.

When I told my father about this, he said, if you love friendship, forget the money. If you love the money, forget the friendship. I believed in friendship. Meanwhile, I wanted to discuss the matter with Mr. Sreeram to reduce the interest rate. He was about 58 nearing retirement.

I met him in the lunchroom. I told him he was charging 60% as interest as against the prevailing rate of 12%. I suggested, he could charge Rs 2 per Rs.100 instead of Rs 5. He shouted at me in filthy language, dragging my parents also in between. 

I was shocked by his rebuttal and all the people were looking at me. I could not stoop to his level and shout at him back. I left the dining hall in disgrace. I could not further concentrate on my work and I was cursing myself for having gone to him.

Months passed. I always forget and forgive. That is my nature. I do not grudge. I do not like taking revenge. I leave it to God to decide. I can do only good for others. I firmly believe "what we sow we will reap". We can not escape this rule of Nature.

After some time, on a rainy day, I saw Mr. Sreeram washing his feet in a puddle of rainwater on the road to remove dirt. Forgetting the past, I asked him why he was washing in dirty water? and he could wash in good water in the office.

Unfortunately, he did not forget the past and again shouted at me using bad language. He told me to mind my business and that he knew how to take care of himself. After about 15 days, I found eczema-like patches on his left foot.

Again out of sympathy, I suggested a dermatologist known to me. He again shouted at me in the same language. After a few weeks, since the wound became septic, his left leg at the knee was amputated and he retired from service simultaneously.

Then I left the job and went to a different place for a better job. After a year, I came to Chennai on official duty. I met my friend Koti accidentally in Parrys corner. As usual, we had tiffin at Krishna Lunch Home. After the tiffin, he bought 3 bananas. He gave me one.

He gave another banana to a beggar with a 5 rupee note. I told him the amount was too much for a suffering man like him. I was shocked, stunned, and became speechless when I  heard his reply. He said he would not have given 5 rupees if it was not for Mr.Sreeram. MAY GOD BLESS YOU.








No comments :

Post a Comment