Monday, October 10, 2016

A JOURNEY WITH CLARINET : BY PRANAV KARTIK

At the age of 9, in 2009, I participated in my school band when I was in 4th grade. Until then, I did not have any intention of learning music. My grandmother and mother are good singers in South Indian classical music. After that program, I wished to learn Clarinet since I was inspired by its look and sound. 

When I first played it, I was so happy and felt as if it was a part of me. The first song I  played on clarinet was Hot Cross Buns.  I had no difficulty in gliding my fingers over the instrument though my friends said it was difficult to move the fingers quickly. 


One day, I heard my mom practicing a pattern in Indian Classical music. I got inspired to try that pattern on clarinet. I practiced many times until I was satisfied. For the first few months, I learned the basic scales of classical music with a few simple songs. 


My mom thought I needed a teacher to guide me. Mr. AKC Natarajan is a well-known musician who has mastered the art of playing Indian Classical music on Clarinet. Prof. William Powell of The California Institute of Arts described him as ‘The Mount Everest of Clarinet”. 


My mom contacted him over the phone in India. I played a classical pattern for him. He was pleased and said it was hard to play classical music on clarinet and my performance was very good.  He agreed to teach me and  I was only his second disciple after Prof. Powell in clarinet.


The classes were through Skype, late in the night due to differences in time. The language of my teacher was also different. My teacher was tough to get perfection in my training. My passion to learn and the support extended by my mom helped me to overcome all the difficulties. 


After 5 years of practice, my first stage performance in 2014, was miserable. The mistakes I committed in rhythm and melody were an eye-opener. I realized that it was going to be an uphill task to gain mastery. I toiled day and night even preferring clarinet over schoolwork. Frequent public performances helped me to improve my skills and to master the nuances of the instrument. 


After 7 years of intense practice, at the age of 16, my debut performance as a professional clarinetist was arranged in India under the auspices of my Guru in the summer of 2016. It was a two-hour performance in the presence of many legends in south Indian classical music. 


I went to Tiruchirapalli, India, the hometown of my Master, and stayed with him for several days and practiced for long hours under his guidance. A wrist injury and stiffness in the jaw due to excessive playing gave some trouble. However, my master insisted on the practice and said, "you must practice till your lips bleed."


During the concert, I had to have two supporting artists on violin and tabla. Non-verbal coordination and clear understanding were immensely needed to perform in harmony. In three days, we turned out to be a great team.


Sep 3, 2016, dawned. There was press coverage by a leading newspaper. I Entered the auditorium filled with connoisseurs and critics and it was a nerve-racking experience. I said to myself “C'mon, you can do it". Nothing mattered to me thereafter, neither my master, nor the audience, nor the surroundings. It was just me and my clarinet. I performed to the appreciation of one and all!            

                                                                                                        
It was the most memorable and pleasant moment of my life. I should thank my parents for the wonderful support they gave me during my training. I discovered a new dimension within me. I realized that talent alone cannot win but it has to be combined with grit, determination, and hard work. Even now, I practice for long hours, enjoying the adrenaline rush and the aspiration to create magic with clarinet. 







No comments :

Post a Comment