Saturday, October 22, 2016

IT TOOK US THREE GENERATIONS

Hi friends,

Arangetram is the debut, "on-stage performance", of a student of Indian classical dance and music. It follows years of training. Many perform an Arangetram once the disciple completes the training. The performer can now train other aspiring learners or perform independently. He should have a full understanding of the art. Arangetram can be done for classical dance, vocals, and instruments like Mridangam, ghatam, and violin. etc


It was my wish that someone in my family should specialize in some art and develop to the stage of Arangetram. My wife was a good singer of Carnatic music. She was also interested in developing her talent. As she was a great fan of Radha Jayalakshmi, I wanted her to be tutored by them. GNB, MLV, Radha Jayalakshmi, Sudha Ragunathan are of a similar genre.


We were staying in T.Nagar, Chennai in 1975. Radha Jayalakshmi. were staying in Saidapet. We met them and requested to give training. They tested and agreed to train her. The fee was Rs.100 per month. My salary then was about Rs.500 of which I sent 100 to my parents, 100 for rent, 250 for the family leaving 50 for an emergency. So I had no other alternative but to drop the plan.


Then I went to south India in 1984. My daughter was 8 and my son was 4. I wanted my daughter to learn Baratha Natyam. My colleague's wife Ms. Jayanthi, was a good teacher. My daughter started the training. Within 4 years, she came to the level of Arangetram. Unexpectedly, the teacher's husband left the job and went to Bangalore. There was only tearful farewell and my daughter's Arangetram was dropped.


My daughter, with two sons, Chi.Pranav 7 and Chi. Keshav 2. had gone to the US in 2006. In 2009, she wanted Pranav to learn clarinet. She searched for a Guru from India. The clarinet is synonymous with Sri.AKC Natarajan, an authority on it. Sri AKC, who never accepted tutorship, agreed to coach Pranav as a special case through Skype. As my daughter knew Carnatic music, she was able to write the codes and assist him in training. 


The efforts she had taken to teach him the nuances of the art are beyond words. Her grit and determination brought the best out of him. Shri. Kartik, my son-in-law, also extended great support. After 7 years of hard work, on Sept 3rd, 2016, she staged the Arangetram of Chi. Pranav's clarinet recital in the presence of Sri AKC in Vani Mahal, T.Nagar, Chennai, to the admiration of one and all. 


My grandson Chi. Pranav also performed wonderfully well to the appreciation of his Guru and the audience. You can see it on UTube at the link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Zq2PeqBFSM. My wish that someone in my family should master the art to the level of an Arangetram got fulfilled after 41 years ie three generations. KUDOS TO MY DAUGHTER AND PRANAV. GOD BLESS THEM.

1 comment :


  1. 2 Vijay Nurani and Rajee Viswanathan
    Comments
    Priya Kartik
    Priya Kartik Everything happened because of your teachings, guidance and blessings. All credit goes to you 😊

    ReplyDelete