Monday, October 10, 2016

LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT

Hi friends. 

Meeting your spouse for the first time is the most memorable occasion. No one will forget it. It is a unique feeling. In Nov 1973, when I was 28, I had this experience. When I went to my place Srirangam to celebrate Deepavali, my mother told me that I was going to see a girl in the afternoon for my marriage. 

I went to see the girl along with my sister. We were given Deepavali snacks and sweets instead of the regular Kesari and Bajji. There was a big hall with two pillars. Her parents sat on the side and we sat in the center facing the girl. She was on the floor near a pillar. She was wearing a cream-colored silk Saree, looked beautiful, homely, and to my liking. It was LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT for me.

After formal inquiries, my sister, a degree holder in music, asked her whether she knew singing. I was no expert but I loved Carnatic and melodious film music. In those days, the girl was supposed to know Carnatic music and should be able to sing. This would help her to perform puja and to recite slokas.

She said she knew singing. She was a  fan of MLV and Radha Jayalakshmi and she followed their style in singing. Shruthi box was brought and her first song was GAJAVADHANA on Lord Ganesha. She sang well and my sister appreciated and requested another one. Her second song was SRI VALLI DEVA SENAPATHE on our family deity.

Seeing our interest, her mother persuaded her to sing another song. The third song, PRANAMAMYAGAM was a melodious one. Then I requested another one and she sang MALL MARUGA SHANMUGA on Lord Muruga. She sang all the songs wonderfully which made me request a last one. With a smile, she sang  DEVADHI DEVA SRI VASUDEVA.

Though interested, we did not ask her to sing any further. I think she may be the only one to sing 5 songs at a girl-seeing ceremony. In later years, after our marriage, she used to sing without any reservation. Among all songs she has sung so far, the one that gives me peace of mind is SRI CHAKRA RAJA

THE SECOND SONG WAS...MAAL MARUGA SHANMUGA


THE THIRD SONG WAS.....PRANAMAMYAHAM



THE FOURTH SONG WAS......SRI VALLI  DEVASENAPATHE


THE FIFTH SONG WAS .....DEVADHI DEVA SRI VASUDEVA


SRI CHAKRA RAJA



No comments :

Post a Comment