Wednesday, October 12, 2016

THE KNEE PAIN AT OLD AGE

Hi friends,

In 1990, I was working in South India. Since my father-in-law was having eye surgery, we went to Tiruchy leaving the kids with my mother for 2 or 3 days. My wife was happy to be with her father when he was undergoing treatment.


After the surgery was over, there was an SOS message from my mother asking us to return immediately as she was sick. My daughter was 14 and my son was 10. We rushed back and reached home in the evening.


It took a long time for my mother to open the door. She was unable to walk even one step. She was suffering from severe pain in her knee. I did not know what to do. On the next day, I consulted my colleagues who suggested Dr. Jayaprakash Narayanan at Tirunelveli.


I went to Tirunelveli and brought the doctor by taxi covering 80 Kms to and fro. The doctor was the Dean of the Govt Medical college for Indian Medicine. He came immediately to my request understanding my agony. He tested my mother and said it was Osteoarthritis. 


He explained to me by keeping my palm on her knee to feel the grinding sound when she moved her knee. He gave a medicine. It was 10 grams costing  Rs400/. A small quantity of the size of a rice grain, put on a betel leave, with one drop of ghee is to be taken on an alternate day.


While taking the medicine, she felt like an electrical shock all over her body. She had to take the medicine for 15 days. I came to know later that it was Siddha medicine containing Gold Bhasbam. She was completely cured and there was no problem for another 25 years.


Arthritis is a severe handicap for old people. They have to suffer a lot. Normally, parents do not reveal their suffering to their children. Their children should understand and extend physical, moral, and financial support to alleviate the pain both in their knees and HEART.

No comments :

Post a Comment