Friday, March 31, 2017

THE COURT AND ME

Hi friends,


“If you unconditionally apologize, this matter will take a different course. If you choose to accuse ‘A’ or ‘Y’, the matter will be adjudicated,” Justice Dipak Misra observed.


These were the words of the judge of the apex court in the encounter between the Supreme Court and Justice Karnan of the Calcutta High Court. This reminded me of an incident in my life when I was 18 [1963] studying in 1st-year degree. 


We friends used to play cricket on the playground behind Town Hall in Tiruchy. One day, after the game was over, we were returning home. I had an urgent call of nature [pee] and I could not control. There was a corner before the hall where the entire district used to pee giving a dirty smell in the whole area. I went there and cleared my bladder to great relief.


At that time, unexpectedly and unfortunately, a policeman came and asked me "why are you doing it here?. Why don't you go home and do it? Don't you know, you should not do it in public places?". He further asked for personal details of the college, father, address, family, etc. and started advising me.


Unlike now, I was not pious, polite and submissive in those days and in addition I was short-tempered also. I never cared for anything or anybody and I was arrogant, confrontational, used to argue and fight with everyone. I had muscle power and my blood was hot then. 


I asked him " So many people are doing it here daily. Why don't you catch all of them?"The policeman said "You are talking too much. You come to the court tomorrow and ask the judge and he will answer you." and he took my address and gave a copy of the summon.


On the next day, when I went to court, I met my neighbour who was an advocate. He told me "When the magistrate asks you, don't try to explain or argue or counter or question anyone to show your intelligence. Just accept your mistake and seek an apology. 


"He will impose a fine of Rs20/, pay the fine and come out. If you argue, the fine will go up for every word and he will also put you behind the bar for causing a public nuisance," he advised. I did as he suggested and escaped imprisonment. Such incidents taught me a lot in life.


No comments :

Post a Comment