Wednesday, March 22, 2017

GRAMMAR IN THE WEDDING HALL

Hi friends,


The scene in a wedding hall is always lovely and lively. You see people in their best dress, talking gossips and children playing, oh, it is just beautiful to watch. It was 10 AM and I was sitting alone in the middle of a hall attending the wedding of the son of a close relative. As usual, my wife had left me to help the host.


A teenaged girl, probably studying in 12th std, came to me and asked where her mother was. I did not know. However, I could not resist the urge to ask her a question in English grammar. I told her if she answered my question, I would tell her where her mother was. She asked for the question and was caught in the net.


I asked her "What is a GERUND?" As she did not know, she asked for the answer. I told her where her mother was and also gave her time until lunch to tell me the answer. She agreed and left the place to find her mother. Every half an hour thereafter, a girl came and asked me what was a gerund. I replied in the negative to everyone.


At 2 PM, a middle-aged woman, friend of my wife, came and asked me what was a gerund. I could not feign ignorance as she had a high opinion about me. I told her, "In a sentence, a verb taking the suffix 'ing' and acting as a noun is gerund". For eg. In the sentences "walking is a good exercise" and "he loves walking" the word "walking" acts as a gerund.


Within half an hour all the girls came to me and gave the answer. This is how you educate the children. [ Here I remember my English teacher when I was studying SSLC, who used to tell beautiful stories in a train journey and also asked questions on English grammar in between.]

No comments :

Post a Comment