Wednesday, February 12, 2020

MY FAMILY DOCTOR

I remember it happened in 1981 when my son was one year old. I was working in Madras. After the office at 5-30 in the evening, I used to go to our recreation club, to avoid the rush on the evening bus. I used to read the newspaper and played table tennis and carrom until 7-30 and then took a bus to return home by 8-30. 

One day when I returned, I saw my wife was cajoling my son who was crying uncontrollably. She was standing on the lawn carrying the child and looking forward to my arrival. When I arrived, I did not know what to do as we were living in a remote place. Then it came to my mind that there was a doctor on the rear street.

We took our son to the doctor late in the night. After explaining the situation, the doctor was kind enough to open the door. He then checked the child and said there must be some food poisoning as his stomach had become hard due to the stoppage of bowel movement. He asked me to get an injection immediately.

I had to go three km away on cycle to a pharmacy which was the only one open at that time. Fortunately, the medicine was available and I brought it in no time to the doctor. He gave the injection to the child and said if the child did not stop crying within an hour, I had to take the child to GH for stomach washing.

We thanked the doctor and returned home. We were clueless as to the cause of food poisoning. Fortunately, my son stopped crying after some time. The doctor charged just Rs.20/ Since then, till 2016, for 35 years, I never consulted any other doctor excepting him. He is my family doctor and even now he charges me only Rs.50/ per visit.

No comments :

Post a Comment