Tuesday, July 11, 2017

A DIFFERENT LOVE STORY

Hi friends,

In early 1970, I was 25, a bachelor, staying in a rented room near Pondy Bazaar, T.Nagar, Chennai. Like every bachelor, I was eating food in the hotels during the day and dreaming about my would-be wife and homely meals during the night. 


One day, when I was busy working in the office, the office attender informed me that there was a phone call for me. I went to the phone kept in the corner and answered the call. A lady was on the other side and her voice was so sweet and friendly. 


She said, " I am Rekha, how are you?

I said, "Fine, thank you. I don't know anyone by name Rekha" 
She said "You may not know me. But I know you. I daily see you in Parry's corner bus stand. You always wear white and white with a black belt. You look smart. I like it" 
She was correct. I always wore white and white with a black belt. There was no question of doubting her. 
I said "okay, what can I do for you?" 
She replied "I want to meet you in person" 
I asked, "What for?" 
She replied "I love you" 

I got whirlpools on my head. I could not hold the phone. My mouth went dry. I was in Ecstasy. I forgot the surroundings. A girl was expressing her love to me. To be loved is better than to love. I was on cloud nine.


I blabbered "I have not seen you before" 

She said "That is why I want to meet you. Can you come to Marina beach at 6 PM today?" 

I was frozen. I could not believe my ears. Was it real?  


I said "Okay. How can I find you?" 

She said "I will wait for you near Labour's statue. I will be wearing a light blue saree with a matching blouse. I will have a rose flower and a brown handbag. Okay" 
I said, "okay, I will come". 

The call ended and I kept the receiver back in its place. I felt as if everyone was staring at me with suspicion. I could not move. For a few steps, my legs crossed. I took an hour's permission, did some touch-up in the restroom, and went straight to the beach. I was there an hour earlier. I was imagining the beauty of the girl. I waited up to 7 pm. She did not turn up and I returned to my room disappointed. The next day, a phone call came from her. 


She said "I am so sorry, I could not come yesterday since my father took me with him. Are you angry with me? 

What could I say? I said " It is okay. No problem" 
She said "We shall definitely meet today. 
I was rejuvenated. With enthusiasm returning to my voice, 
I asked her, "When?
She said, "Same place, same time. I will be wearing a pink colour saree. Can you make it?" 

How could I refuse when a lady was calling me to express her love to me. I agreed and went to the beach again on time. Even today she did not turn up till 7 pm. I returned to the room disappointed. The next day again the phone call came and the lady was on the line. I was angry and wanted to shout at her but somehow controlled. 


She again said, "I am so sorry, I was held up at the office. I will definitely come today. Can you make it?". 


Initially, I had the feeling of accepting the invitation. But something cautioned me. I did not want to be disappointed again. I did not want to be fooled again. 


I said " Sorry. I have other work to do. I cannot come". She disconnected the line.


[Later, my friend Amal Raj who was very good at mimicry had a hearty laugh at me with other friends since he had fooled me in a lady's voice.]



No comments :

Post a Comment