Wednesday, February 17, 2016

WHEN THE DOCTOR TURNED INTO GOD

Hi friends,

We do not always think about God. Only when we have problems, do we think about Him and seek his blessings. There are also human beings who become God when they do things that solve a major problem. Here is an incident when a Doctor turned into God.

I was employed in a company near Tuticorin. I was in materials dept. The rural living was enjoyable. In our dept., Mr Shanmugam was working as an Assistant. He was totally hearing impaired. To talk to him, one had to raise his voice to the maximum. He was the son of a temple priest, married, and had a child. He was very poor also.


One day, in 1987,  he applied for a week's leave. When I asked him the reason, he told me that he was going to Madurai to have a consultation for his hearing problem. He also said,  if there was surgery, he might extend his leave. He said the doctor was in Govt. hospital and was known to him. I told him to wait for a week.  He agreed due to his confidence in me.


Immediately, I wrote a detailed letter to Dr Kameshwaran, a famous ENT surgeon in Chennai, who was known to me. His wife was the Director of Medical Education. I requested him to help a poor deserving case. On the 3rd day, I received a reply, asking me to come for consultation on a specified date at 5 PM, at Devaki Hospital, Chennai.


I showed the letter to Shanmugam and booked tickets. We went to the hospital at the appointed time. He tested him thoroughly and explained to him, how the bone alignment inside his ear was different and how by a simple surgery it can be corrected so that his hearing would be fully restored.


The surgery was done at 6 AM the next morning. It lasted 30 minutes and he came to his senses in 3 hours. The doctor told him, it would take some time for him to balance the sound and he would vomit frequently. Once he was able to balance the sound, he would become normal. He gave medicines for two months and discharged him on the next day.


He did not charge anything and also recommended to the director of the hospital to charge a nominal amount towards hospital charges. Such a noble gesture on the part of a leading doctor helped my poor friend to a great extent. After his return home, you must see in person, how happy he was, his wife and his parents when he was able to HEAR. That was how  A DOCTOR TURNED INTO GOD.





4 comments :