Thursday, February 11, 2016

IT HAPPENED ON THE TRAIN

Hi friends,

Chennai Express runs daily from Secunderabad to Chennai. It starts at 5 PM and reaches Chennai at 6 AM the next morning. I always prefer that train as I will be able to attend to my work on landing. I did not expect the journey on that day would turn out to be a memorable one.

Myself and my wife were seated in the middle. Another aged couple was seated near the window. I was 68 and my wife was 65. They were also of the same age. Just to begin a conversation, I inquired whether the people who came to see them off were his son's family. 

He agreed. I said his DIL seemed to be a good girl. He agreed again and asked how I guessed. I told him I could guess from her looks, from how she talks, and from her body language. Normally, only the son would come. If the DIL also came, it was special and it showed her attachment to her husband and his people.

He wondered whether I was a psychologist. He said he liked me and wanted to discuss a personal problem. He had retired as secretary in Tamil Nadu govt. He lived in Perambur in Chennai. He had his own house on two grounds. 

He had only three sons. The son at Hyd was the eldest and the other two were in Chennai. All the three were well educated, working in IT, and were earning a fabulous salary. All were happily married with one child each and were living separately.

He was getting a pension of 15000 PM. He visited them on rotation and his life was going smooth. The eldest son and DIL showed attachment to them but the other two sons and DILs were indifferent. 

Now, their two younger sons wanted him to sell his house and give their share so that they could invest in a flat. His wife was in favour of them. He was in a dilemma and he was unable to decide. He requested me to give him a solution. 

I said it was time to go to bed and I would think it over and give a reply in the morning. I too was in a similar predicament. In spite of my best efforts, I could not arrive at a solution. A father should be fair to his children and also to his wife who had lived with him all his life. 

To take a decision in the apportionment of his properties, he should have a fair and balanced view. I was deprived of sleep that night trying to find a solution. I got up at 5 AM, brushed and washed, and came back to my seat. 

My friend who had already got up asked me for the solution before the train reached Chennai. On inquiry, he said it was self-acquired property, he had insurance but he had not written a Will, I suggested as under. 

1. "Write a WILL immediately. Otherwise, your wife will get only 1/4th share. Mention clearly that all your property should only go to your wife after your lifetime. Only after her lifetime, your children should share as per the Will. 
2. If any son had given you any cash, return it to him. You apportion the balance of cash and jewels equally among them. 
3. Regarding the house, do not sell it now. After your lifetime, your wife would get half a pension and she should have a place to stay. If she rented, she can also have the rent. She should have some backing. Then only people will respect her. 
4. After her lifetime, the sons can stay or share the rent. The majority of them shall decide about selling or modifying the house. If they decide to sell/modify the house, mention it very clearly, that after adjusting incidental expenses, each son shall get a 30% share totaling 90%. 
5. The balance of 10% shall go to the first son who takes care of you. If the other two are also kind to you, authorize the first son to give them their share from 10%.". 
6. "A handwritten Will by you on plain paper is called holographic will which does not require registration nor witness. Give a copy of the Will to each of them to understand. 
7. The current market value of your house is about 6 crores and 10% works out to 60 lacs. No fool would like to lose it. They will definitely take care of you both. 
8. Whenever you stay with them, compensate their expenses on you by way of giving gifts to the DIL. Your life will be happy and peaceful ".

The train reached Chennai and he thanked me for giving a solution and I had the satisfaction of helping a person in dilemma.

No comments :

Post a Comment