Wednesday, January 25, 2017

ON THIS DAY IN THAT YEAR 1966

Hi friends, 


The Union Govt celebrates Republic Day on 26th Jan in New Delhi.  Every battalion from NCC, Air Wing, Navy, Scouts, both girls and boys wings from each state sends a contingent of cadets. The preparation started in September. The selection was done at the college, district, and state levels. Only about 40 cadets were selected in the whole state.


In 1965, I was doing my final year degree in St.Joseph's Tiruchy. My parents and Principal Fr. Mathias advised me to think thrice as the exams were due in April. I had a dream of serving in the Army for which passing B and C certificates in the NCC and attending this parade would be of great advantage.


So I enrolled myself. The main aspects they look for, were your turn out, marching talent, stamina to carry the rifle for a long distance, and in bayonet fight. Major Abdul Khader was in charge of the district. I was confident I could easily pass at the college level. I also did well at the district level and got selected.


We were to go to Madras for the final selection. Many student cadets came from different colleges across the state. The first selection was in St.George's school in Shenoy Nagar and the final at Pachaiappa's college. The contingent from Tiruchy traveled by the Tuticorin Express. Throughout the night I did not sleep and I was polishing my boots, shaving, dreaming, etc.


Finally, we landed and went to the venue, had breakfast and tea, and assembled for the ultimate. Senior Division NCC was called after other units were completed. All the cadets were lined in three's and did march past for two hours without any break. Finally, the Lt. Col in charge of the 2nd Madras battalion came for selection.


My chest number was 42. While we were marching, suddenly it started raining heavily spoiling our turn out. My number was called first and my heart was broken. I thought I was not selected.  My joy knew no bounds when I came to know that I was the first to be selected. After the selections were over, we assembled to receive instructions about the Delhi trip.


The camp at Delhi was for two months during Dec and Jan. It was a huge one with hundreds of girls and boys staying in tents in biting cold. We met different people from different places speaking different languages. We were allowed to go out on Sunday shopping. It was a nice experience though tough. I can write another article about the camp. Finally, the D-day arrived.


On 26th Jan 1966, we got up at 5 AM, had our breakfast and tea, and assembled for the march past. The distance to cover was about 7 KMS and to march with the rifle, on one hand, was both painful and enjoyable. The event was over by 4 PM. It was a strenuous one and only people with a lot of stamina could withstand it. I feel very proud that I took part in a great event.


                                                                    JAI HIND




comments


Uma Sundaram

12:49 PM (2 hours ago)
to me
Dear Anna 
Super - duper to even read about it .........could imagine how much of excitement it would have been for you !!! Kudos to you and your stamina !!!
Namaskarams  & love 
Uma Sundaram

Uma Sundaram

9:24 PM (10 hours ago)
to me
Thank you and many salutations to you on this great achievement As I was living with you together I could recollect most of the details Iam really proud of your achievement 
Thank you
Sundaram

No comments :

Post a Comment