Sunday, January 29, 2017

MY MOTHER-IN-LAW

Hi friends,


Normally a mother in law is not a welcome person. She is possessive about her family. No one taught her how to go along with others. But the mothers-in-law of the men are different. They like their son-in-law as long as their daughters are happy.


My wife's mother was Ms. Seethalakshmi, fondly called "Seethamma",  w/o  Sri.S.Rangarajan of Srirangam. She was very fair, beautiful, short, innocent, cheerful, with curly hair, clad in silk Saree, and always looked as fresh as a flower.


She had 3 daughters and a son, of whom I have married the second. Her last daughter was a friend of my sister in college. She also became a friend of my mother and gave her second daughter in marriage to me. She never failed to make Akkaravadisal [a sweet dish] whenever I visited her house.


Her motive was"friend to all and foe to none". Her love was universal. She always had a smiling face. She never got angry. Her innocence was unbelievable. She could change even the enemy into a good friend. I wish to mention here two instances that inspired me to love her more.


In 1997, we went to Srirangam to invite my in-laws for our daughter's wedding. They were happy since I had honoured my father-in-law by mentioning his name on the invitation. They advised us to get a silk saree, a gold chain. a pair of toe rings, to the liking of my daughter, as their gifts for the wedding.


Before the wedding, we went to Srirangam to handover those items to them and also our gifts for the wedding. My father-in-law inquired about the value of the items he asked us to get. We told him that it was 37,000/. He brought a 50 rupee bundle and started counting the notes.


My mother-in-law told him spontaneously "Why are you counting it? Give the entire bundle to him" She did not care about the value. Such was her innocence, love, affection, and attitude to others. Her magnanimity was great. A lady par excellence.


Once I went late to their house at 9-30 in the night. Normally, they went to bed by 7-30 or 8-00. Knowing this, I already had dinner in the hotel. She used to give milk to everyone daily before going to bed. I had the milk and told her I should leave early the next morning. 


She arranged for the car to drop me at the station. When I was about to leave, as I did not have any change, I asked her to give me change for Rs100. She gave me in 10 rupee notes.  When I gave her the 100 rupee note in return, she said " Should I not give you 100 rupees? You keep it and it might be useful." 


Such was her approach to life. So timid, so tender and so touching the heart. She is no more. I was happy to carry her on my shoulders during her last journey. She was more than a mother to me. I miss her a lot. In her remembrance, I have named my granddaughter after her. MAY GOD BLESS YOU.




No comments :

Post a Comment