Friday, March 17, 2023

RAM AND I OR RAM AND ME?

I, you, he, she, it, we and they are subject pronouns. They perform the “action” of the verb. 

Example:

I walk fast. 

You work hard. 

He is nice.


But when they function as objects, most of these personal pronouns take different forms. Me, you, him, her, it, us and them are object pronouns. 


1. When to Use “Ram and I”


You should use Ram and I when the two are the subject of the sentence or phrase. The phrase Ram and I will appear before the verb.


Example:

Ram and I went to the theme park.

Ram and I are just colleagues.

Ram and I sent them flowers.

In all the sentences above, Ram and I are the subjects doing the action of the verb.


2. When to Use “Ram and Me”.


You should use Ram and me when the two are the object in a phrase receiving the action. The phrase Ram and me usually comes at the end of a sentence.


Example:

The panel gave the award to Ram and me.

The wedding was ruined by Ram and me.

Krishna explained the process to Ram and me.


In all the sentences above, Ram and me are the object of the sentence—they are receiving the action.


3. Tips for Remembering when to Use Ram and Me vs Ram and I


Ram and me and Ram and I are both grammatically correct, however, they should not be used interchangeably.


To decide which phrase is correct, remove “Ram and” from the sentence to see if the sentence still makes sense. For example:


Ram and I went to the theme park

If we remove “Ram and” the sentence becomes, “I went to the theme park.” That sentence makes sense, so you know Ram and I is the correct phrase.


You couldn’t say “Ram and me went to the theme park.” because once the sentence is shortened to “Me went to the theme park,” it doesn’t make sense.


Let’s look at how to decide if Ram and Me is being used correctly.


The CEO gave a commendation to Ram and me.


If you remove “Ram and” still it makes sense. Then it is correct.


I, you, he, she, it, we and they are subject pronouns that come at the beginning. Me, you, him, her, it, us and them are object pronouns that come at the end.

No comments :

Post a Comment