Saturday, June 12, 2021

"IF I WERE"

In 1958-60, during my high school days, my English teacher used to ask the students to write an essay starting with " If I were". In practical life, everyone dreams " if I were" and cries over his misfortune. The routes may differ but the destination remains the same for all. It is the decision of God. No one can alter it. Hence I write about what "If I were" in my life.


1. In 1960, after high school, my father asked me to do engineering but I wanted to study Commerce, Accountancy, and Economics. "If I were" an engineer, my life would have been different.


2. In 1963, whilst in St.Joseph's college, I prepared myself to enter the services. After the degree, I got selected as a Commissioned Officer in the Army. But my father did not allow me to join. "If I were" in the army, I would have retired as a Colonel, enjoying great perks.


3. In 1966, after my degree, I got an offer from a leading bank. The manager demanded a bribe which we did not oblige. I lost the opportunity. "If I were" in the bank, I would have retired as a DGM getting many benefits and pension.


4. In 1986, my FIL gave some money to my wife. I could have constructed the first floor in my house. But it was her money. "If I had done" it, I would have earned a fortune as rent during these 35 years. I might also get Rs.60,000 pm as rent for two floors now.


5. In 1992, when I was 42, I left a good job [with perks] to join another company where I could not continue due to a language problem. I suffered like HELL for 25 years with two kids. "If I were" in the original company, I would not have suffered.


6. Karma directs and I act. I did not lose heart. I did not cry over what I had lost. I resurrected like a phoenix. I became self-sufficient, self-reliant, and self-dependent in 25 years by sheer determination. I am happy with what I am and what I have now.


7. My children are wonderful. They studied well and are well placed. They are taking care of me. At 76, I am now enjoying my life with my three grandkids. My destiny is already decided by God. No one can change it.


Epilogue: My sufferings made me tough and gave a positive attitude. I do not believe in "if I were" theory. Heavens will not come down. Do not cry over the past. Health is more important than wealth. Live and enjoy the present. May God bless you.



No comments :

Post a Comment