Friday, June 14, 2019

THE PEN COVER

About 40 years back in 1979, I happened to go to the post office near Pondy Bazaar in T.Nagar, Chennai, to post an envelope to Bombay. I had written the address at home leaving some space for the pin code to be verified at the post office. 


After reaching the post office, I got the correct pin code from the staff. When I wanted to write it on the envelope, I noticed that I had forgotten to bring my pen. So, I requested the person standing nearby to lend me his pen. 


To my utter surprise, he gave the bottom of the pen retaining the cover with him. Such was his confidence in me for a worthless pen. I felt as if he had slapped me. I felt as if he had spat in my face. After filling the Pincode, I gave the pen back to him politely. 


From that day on, I never ever missed keeping a pen in my shirt pocket whenever I put on my shirt. Whenever anyone asked me for the pen, I remembered this incident and gave him the pen with the cover. 


In my opinion, the person retaining the cover doubts the person might not return the pen. He considers he is not trustworthy. This affects the integrity of the person. Even if the pen is taken away by him absentmindedly, another one can be bought as it is not worth a fortune.


Similarly, I find the tumblers provided for drinking water at public places and the mugs in the train toilets are chained so that people cannot take them away. This is also an act of not trusting others and their integrity. It means that people always have stealing attitude.


We must consider fellow humans trustworthy and believable.

No comments :

Post a Comment