Thursday, July 7, 2016

MY BIOGRAPHY--PART 2-- IN PURSUIT OF PROSPERITY

PART 2: [ NEXT 26 YEARS FROM 1966 TO 1992]

My father might have had his justification in asking me to do 3 year course instead of spending 5 years to get a BE so that I could shoulder some of his responsibilities. At that time I took a wow, if I got a job, I would help my father to my maximum. In those days Managers of commercial banks had the power to appoint people. My father contacted a manager of a leading bank to get me a job. The manager agreed but he demanded a favor in return. Being a man of principles, my father did not agree. I was very short tempered in those days like my father. 


With my father's help, I got a job in S.Venkataraman & co, civil engineering contractors, in Small Arms Project, Tiruchy. Their office was in Thillai Nager and I was going to office in my father's cycle. One day, since I did not do a favor to him, the peon, punctured my cycle which I came to know through another source. I picked up a quarrel with him and warned him not to touch my father's cycle. On the next day, the chief engineer Mr Ranganatha Char, questioned me supporting the peon. I told him not to interfere in matters not connected with him and to mind his business. The next day, I left the job. My father was not happy in the way I dealt with the situation.


By God's grace on the next day, I received an allotment letter from Employment Exchange appointing me on temporary basis as Junior Inspector of cooperative societies in the Sub Registrar's office in Pudukottai. The salary was 300 pm. I got employment in the co-operative dept. of the Madras state Govt on a temporary basis as Junior Inspector of Coop Societies. The posting was at Pudukottai near Tiruchy. My uncle, father's elder brother, was living there with his family. He was a humble and pious man and he liked my father and me very much. He used to stay with us many times. His only daughter, my cousin sister, was of my age and we were close. We were studying in the same class in school and we used to vie with each other in getting more marks. 


When I was about to leave, my father told me not to stay in his brother's house but to take up a room. He also told me to visit his brother and to seek their blessings. The salary was 300 pm. The room rent was 20 pm shared by two and the food was 50/ pm covering morning breakfast, lunch and dinner. I could easily save 200 pm and I was happy. I got the first month's salary and I wanted to give it to my mother in person. As it was only an hour's bus journey, I came to our house in Srirangam. O'My God, The cash was gone. Somebody had picked my pocket. I lost my first salary. I worked there for few months and I was sent home.


Later, he had helped his brother in getting his daughter married and also presented her with diamond ear and nose studs. After 15 years in 1981, due to old age, his brother wanted to settle with his daughter in Nagpur. My father sent them to me at Madras and asked me to keep them for a week and to send them to Nagpur and also to give them some money. I sent them by sleeper in Ganga Kaveri express and gave him Rs. 300/ for pocket expenses with food and water for the journey. My father was happy. I really wonder about my father, who was very close and also fond of his elder brother, asked me not to stay with them but to help them when they were in need. He used to advise me not to receive anything from anybody but only to give. In other words, my palm should always be downward [giving] and not upward [receiving]. 

I was again idle at home posting applications. Once again my father was not happy. I cursed my fate. Life was boring. Without any responsibility, I was roaming the streets. Then I decided, it was time for me to go to Chennai where I could get better opportunities. There was no packing for me and I took just a pant and a shirt, a banian and underwear, a towel, a shoe and socks and a tie and Rs 50/ in my pocket. I did not even had an address to stay there. With great frustration and without any enthusiasm, I commenced my journey in a lorry paying 3/. I wowed not to return home without getting a job and settled in Chennai. 

On a warm sunny morning in June 1967, when I was 22, I landed at Madras.  I just had a pant, a shirt, a set of inner wear, a towel, a shoe and socks, a tie and Rs 50/. At first, I was bewildered at the look of the city. I was jobless and I had come to the city in search of prosperity. My father was a Govt. servant and he was supporting a family of 14 including my parents, 3 grandparents and nine children. My last brother was just three then.

I did not even had a place to stay. I did not know where to go. I went to Triplicane where my grandfather had some relatives. I knocked at their doors and introduced myself. But they were not ready to give me accommodation. From there, I went to T.Nagar, where my elder brother had a colleague by name Sankara Narayanan. He was also unable to offer me some space sighting family reasons. I started understanding people and the world. 


I stayed in the Mambalam railway station for a day at the courtesy of the station master. On his advice, I took up a room in the nearby Railway border road  for 20/ pm to be shared with 2, with common bath and toilet. I started searching for jobs from there. I moved out in the morning at 8 AM and I went around the city, mostly on foot, entering each and every office requesting for job. I earmarked an area for the day and covered it in one day. 


I could not afford to have meals thrice a day as the cash was dwindling. Already, I had purchased a pillow and lunghi. I had to keep a balance of Rs.6 for the return journey to Tiruchy.  Everyday, when the meals section was opened at 7 PM, I was the first to enter the hotel. It was unlimited meal for Re.1/. I took to my full stomach, up to the neck, so that I could manage till the next day at 7 PM. 


At first,  I got a job in an Auditors office in Gopalapuram as Article clerk. The salary was 70/ PM. I could have managed with that money and prepared for C.A. But I had to wait for a month to get the salary and I won't be able to send anything to my parents. I worked there for few days but I could not continue. With the cash balance coming down, fear for the future life engulfed my mind leading to sleepless nights. 


I was desperately in need of a job. I could not face the ignominy of going back to Tiruchy jobless. One day, after dinner at 7 PM, while I was walking along the Usman Road, I saw a textile shop. I went in and met the proprietor Mr. Harikrishnan and requested him for a job. He was a kind man and he had named the shop after his daughter who was about 7. He was a north Indian. He was impressed and appointed me as an accountant. 



I should also look after sales. The timing was 10 to 1 and 4 to 9. The salary was 300/ PM. Tea in the morning and evening was provided. Knowing my condition, he gave me some advance. From that month onward, I started sending 100 or 125 PM to my father till 1982 when he asked me to stop. Working in a textile shop was only a temporary footing to augment my financial needs. I worked there for few months. I should get a decent job in a big company. 

During the lunch time of 3 hours, I continued my search. I also sent applications through the post. God should have mercy on me. I also sent applications through the post. One day, there was a surprise visitor. A leading cine actress, visited the shop to buy pant lengths for her son. At that time, I was in the sales counter and I showed her some costly pieces. I talked to her in Queen's English and also demonstrated by folding the cloth like that of a pant to impress upon her. Even now, when I walked along that road, I get fond memories of the past.


She appreciated my salesmanship and gave me her visiting card and asked me to meet her in her house on the next day. When I went there, she offered me her manager's post on the same salary I was given in the textile shop plus food and accommodation. I left the textile shop and jointed her on the next day. However, I stayed out in a room to have my privacy. She agreed to pay the room rent of Rs.20/pm. I shifted from railway border road to Nathamuni street in GN Chetty Road. It was an independent room. 


There was no fixed working hours. That was why she asked me to stay in her house. I had to go at 7 AM and be with her till she relieved me. Normally it was up to 7 PM. I was given an office room. I had to attend to all her works including accompanying her to the studios. Food was excellent. I had developed contacts with all actors, directors and producers. I was given a Fiat for my work and the Plymouth was for her. If I had continued with her, I would have been a different person now. She had huge collection of books. I had the opportunity to read Perry Mason, Earl Stanley Gardner, Agatha Christie etc.


She was fair and beautiful, homely in looks. She was very popular and she had acted with leading heroes. She was very strict. She could not tolerate indiscipline. She won't hesitate to reprimand anyone for any mistake. She was authoritative and the whole industry feared her. She had two daughters and a son. They were well educated. They never discussed about mother's profession. I developed the habit of wearing white pant and white shirt since she appreciated it one day. I also stitched few white pants and shirts. This dress, with black belt and shoes became my regular attire.



Her sister also was an actress. She was a Telugu but she knew 6 languages. Her English was of high standard. She was propertied in Chennai as well as Hyderabad. When you travel in a car with her, you should sit only in the front. When you talk, you should look straight and should not turn your head to look at the back seat. She was a terror but she was also a good human being willing to help the poor. However, I did not wish to continue there. Tinsel world looked green only from a distance. I was looking for better prospects during my spare time.

I happened to go to P.Orr & Sons, in Mount road one day on office duty. It belonged to the Karumuthu Thiagaraja Chettiar Group. They were the pioneers in watches and scientific precision instruments. They also sold high end watches like Rolex etc. Their watch repair division was a huge one. They were famous for clocks and tower clocks in those days. I met the MD, Mr. Chokkalingam and requested him for a job. He asked me to give an application. By that time, I had become good at writing applications.. He appointed me in the Accounts dept. I left the job with the actress and joined the new firm on the next day. The salary was same at 300/ PM. The working hours were 9 to 5. I met my best friend Mr. Venkatramani there, for the first time, who is even now my friend for 49 years. I worked there for one year.

Now , from one meal a day, I switched over to the routine breakfast, lunch and dinner. I had meals for Re.1/ at Geetha cafe and breakfast for 75 ps at Shantha Bhavan, Pondy basaar. The owner Mr Deju Shetty was my friend. Celebrities used to come to the hotel during the night. From Ranganathan street, I switched over to Nathamuni street for an  independent room for 20/ PM. It was attached to a family. It was nearby Vani Mahal where the now famous SPB used to sing Kishore Kumar songs for Rs2/. Cine dance director Mr Thangappan was staying in my street. The now famous Kamal Haasan used to sit in front yard and we discussed cinema with director Sakthi.


Basically, I was a family man. With six brothers and three sisters, I longed for my family and cried during lonely sleepless nights. I was alone, all alone and was fed up with hotel meals. I longed for home food. Having got into a good job, I wanted to see my people. I went to Srirangam one day by Rockfort express. My sisters and brothers who were praying for my well being were very happy to see me in good shape. I spent the weekend and returned on Monday morning. Every now and then, I made frequent visits to see my dear ones. I used to tell them stories of the English movies I had seen. I got them sarees as my gifts. One sister even now is having a saree. In my free time, I used to go to Venkatramani's house for family atmosphere.


He was staying with his parents. They were from Kumbakonam. His father was retired and was getting some pension. He had two sisters and two brothers. One sister was married. Being the eldest, he had the responsibility of looking after them. At night 9 PM, we used to walk to the Panagal park to talk. He was coming to office by cycle. He wowed one day that he would drive around the Panagal park in cream color Fiat car wearing a silk jibba and keeping his one hand on the window. Later when the dream came true after many years with a Maruthi 800 instead of a Fiat, I was the first to be informed. 


In 1968, I happened to go to Binny & co. ltd on office duty. I met Mr. Radhakrishnan, the personal manager. I requested him to help me in getting into Binnys which was big and famous then. As usual, he asked me to give an application. I got the paper from him and gave the application there itself. He was happy and promised to do the needful. After a week, I got an interview letter to meet Mr. Captain the sales manager. I was appointed in the Export sales dept. The salary was same at 300 PM. The working hours were 9 to 5. I worked there for 17 years from 1968 to 1984. The only notable thing in Binnys was, I had rectified wrong utilization of Forward Exchange contracts after consultations with  SBI that saved the company Rs 50,000 PM as extension charges.


Ramani was such a good man and a good friend. Our friendship developed. To go up in life, he married a working girl so that he got double income. In my family, working girls were not considered. So, to have a good backing, I wanted to marry a girl from a well to do family without looking for beauty, though I had dreams of marrying a girl like actress Padmini. I have written an article under the caption "LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT " about my experience in seeing my wife for the first time. With my Parent's and God's blessings, I married  Geetha on 3rd Feb 1974 when I was 29 and my salary was 500/ PM. I have written two articles under the titles "KANNAN WEDGEETHA and "GOD'S WONDERFUL GIFT TO ME". My father-in-law was a well to do person in Srirangam. From the bachelor life at T.nagar, I moved into Triplicane to save on rent. I paid 100/ towards rent. I was going to office by cycle. I have written an article under the caption "REMINISCENCES OF MY NEWLY MARRIED LIFE". Life was going smooth and pleasant till misfortune struck me again. I lost my first child, a son, within few days of his birth due to respiratory problems. iI have written an article under the caption "THE SCAR THAT WILL NEVER FADE". Then my next brother joined me. Since the accommodation was not sufficient for 3, we moved back to T.nagar again. We never missed to celebrate our wedding day. How we celebrated our first wedding day was written in article under the title "A DAY FOR CELEBRATION"

My daughter was born in 1976 and life was going smooth again. To express my feeling of happiness at the time of her birth, I have written an article under the title "ONLY THE CHILD MAKES THE PARENT ". When she was a child, to make her sleep, I used to sing a song. How that song was used for other children in the family was expressed in the article " OUR FAMILY SONG"

In Binnys, Kotiswaran was my best friend. Contrary to his name, he was not a well to do person. On a salary day he came to my seat and asked me a loan of Rs.200/. I was surprised because it was the salary day. I was getting 800/ pm and he was getting 1200/ pm. He said every month he took loans and returned on the salary day with interest. His loan amount was 1200. I made him an offer. I would give him a loan of 1200 to clear all his loans. He could return to me at 100 pm without any interest in one year. He agreed and thus we became friends. Before giving the loan to him, I asked my father. He said, "if you love the money, forget the friend. If you love the friend, forget the money". What a golden word!!! I have written an article under the caption "YOU WILL NEVER FORGET THIS IN LIFE". We used to come to office by cycle. He was from Ashok nagar and I was from T.nagar. We met at Sterling road, and proceeded to our office in Perambur. I have written an article about our friendship under the caption "HIS TEA CUP WAS FULL OF BLOOD".


My father retired in 1976. At that time his salary was 600 PM. My brothers and sisters completed their education one after the other. My brothers got into good jobs and supported our father to their maximum. My father in turn got them married one after one and they settled in their life excepting the last two brothers who were then studying. My grandparents died one after one. In 1982 when my last brother finished his education, my parents vacated the house at Srirangam and decided to settle with the children.


By then, I had moved to Anna Nagar in 1978 after the wedding of my brother. With the help of Mr. Chakravarthy, Secretary in Tamil Nadu Housing Board, I purchased one ground plot in Anna nagar by taking a loan from office coop society. Then I took a housing loan in OYHS scheme from LIC and constructed a small house in 1980, when my son was born. My father had a dream of constructing his own house but he could not do so due to family situations. I wanted to fulfill his dream. Though I financed the project, he was the architect and everything was done as per his wish. My father was so happy. He used to advise me often to improve my English language. In this connection I have written an article under the caption "IN HIS FOOTSTEPS"


By end 1983, due to heavy rains and flood, Binny mills were heavily damaged affecting raw materials, finished goods and machinery. The company declared compulsory leave for 15 days. Fearing loss of employment, I started applying for jobs once again. I went to Bombay to try my luck through my brother-in-law. I have written an article under the title "TRAVEL MAKES A MANIn 1984, I attended an interview with DCW Ltd near Tuticorin. I was successful, and was appointed as Commercial Officer. The job was looking after purchases. I was given 1500 PM, with accommodation and vehicle allowance. My wife was initially not willing to come to village. But I joined and admitted my children in their school. I rented out my house at Chennai for Rs.500 PM which was an additional  income. Though the job was tedious, I worked there for 8 years from 1984 to 1992.


In Jan 1985, tragedy struck again. My father with 90% blockage in his heart vessels died of cardiac arrest. He was in Apollo hospitals, Chennai when he breathed his last. On hearing the news that he was admitted in the hospital, I came rushing down from Tuticorin with my family to see him. I was happy that I helped him financially to my maximum. I constructed a house to fulfill his dream. I never disobeyed him. To make him happy, I left all bad friends and bad habits. I loved him in spite of his plus and minus. I was able to see him and say a few last words. I told him, I was very SORRY for not listening to his words when he admitted me in diploma and for what I had done during last the six years in college. I prayed to pardon me. 


He squeezed my hands and said "don't worry, I missed you". And he was gone. He was no more. He could never talk to me again. He could never be with us. A journey that started in 1916, had come to an end after 68 glorious years. He was not going to come back again. I lost a great man who lived on principles.  No one could lead a life like my father. All the brothers and sisters did his funeral unitedly. My mother is alive. All his children, grandchildren and great grandchildren are in very good condition.  But he was not there to enjoy the fruit. It was because of his showing us the right path that we could follow and succeed. He longed for my success but he was not there to share. I have written an article in my blog under the caption "ON THE CENTENARY OF MY FATHER".


The management took great interest in religious activities also. There was a beautiful Vinayakar temple, an auditorium, recreation club and a guest house within the premises. Eminent personalities were regularly invited to give lectures on various subjects. His Holiness Shri Bheerth Swamigal, Sankaracharya of Shri Sringeri Mutt was once invited to give lecture. The program was scheduled to start at 6 PM in the auditorium. All people assembled on time. As per custom, men, while vising a temple or a religious head, were not supposed to wear a dress above their waist.


The swami's voice was reverberating in the hall. After the prayer he said, " for those who are performing their duties without like or dislike, those who are making their parents happy, those who are helping the poor to their might, and those who are worshiping God daily, I have nothing to preach. They are already fulfilling the purpose for which they are born". I remembered, my father also told me the very same words when I was young. I have been trying to practice these principles in my life for a very long time. I was wondering how my father was able to give a similar advice like that of the great saint. In this connection, I have written an article "the teachings of a sait"


During my sojourn at DCW, one day my father-in-law came to my house in his car from Srirangam. I was surprised because he never went out like that . We welcomed him and after the night's dinner, he gave me a cover containing Rs.50,000/ which was a huge amount in those days. I was surprised and shocked. He told me that he had sold a part of his lands and out of the proceeds he wanted to give a share to his three daughters and my wife's share came to 4 lakhs. He requested me to come to Srirangam so that the money could be deposited in banks in our joint names. It was a blessing in disguise. I never expected this. I didn't know what to do with the money?. I could then understood one thing. People long for money, but when it came they do not know what to do with that money.


In DCW, I was working to my maximum. There were two  instances to be shared with you . The first one was, DCW floated a tender for purchase of a boiler. Voltas quoted the lowest at 10 lakhs. While issuing the purchase order, I suggested to my boss that we could include a penalty clause for delay in delivery. He reluctantly agreed since it was for the first time. However, the delivery of the boiler was delayed and we deducted about one lakh as penalty. My boss was happy. In another instance, DCW were importing Thymol at a landed cost of Rs.1200 per kg. I was able to locate a local manufacturer who could supply at Rs.200 per kg, thus saving the co. Rs.50,000 on 50 kgs per month plus inventory etc. I also wish to mention here that we gave training for our daughter in Bharata Natyam during our stay at DCW, Her guru was an efficient lady and my daughter also came up to arangetram level. I have written an article under the caption "IT TOOK US THREE GENERATIONS "on this episode.


In 1992, I was looking for better prospects. I attended an interview with Hartex Rubber Ltd a cycle Tyre and tube manufacturing company in Hyderabad. I was selected and appointed as Export Manager on a salary of 4000 PM plus accommodation, and car allowance. I accepted the offer and resigned my job from DCW. They gave me a counter offer matching Hartex, which I did not accept. Myself and my wife decided to leave DCW and to go to Hyderabad. I packed and sent all household items to Hyderabad. My daughter was in 11th std and the son in 7th std. At that time, God only knew what was written on my forehead and what was going to happen at Hyderabad.


Since my daughter was on 11th std, I wanted to admit her in Chennai and leave her under the care of my brother. I went to Chennai to discuss the matter with my brother and to admit her in a school at Anna Nagar so that it was easy for her to go to school. After my brother agreed, I went to Anna Adarsh school for women and met the principal Ms. Bhat. The school was run by Punjab Assn. and I took a letter from Mr. Dhavan, Secretary  of the Assn. whom I knew. Ms. Bhat was surprised to see me asking for admission in 11th std in Feb when the school was about to be closed for annual exams. She refused to give admission and also informed Mr.Dhavan over phone about her inability.


I came out disappointed. In the afternoon, I went to Mount road on some work and unexpectedly, met Mr.Kotiswaran on the road. After formal inquiries, I informed him the reason for my coming to Chennai and the problem I was facing in the admission of my daughter. He then asked me to meet him in his house the next day morning. I went there early morning and he took me to another house. There we met a lady and Koti informed her about me and my problem. She gave instructions to Ms.Bhat in her visiting card directing her to admit my daughter. She was Ms. Chandralekha, the Director of Public Instruction for schools. On the next day, I admitted my daughter and left for Tuticorin. I have written an article under the caption "GOD CAME IN PERSON TO HELP ME !!!",


From there we went to Hyderabad. The office was in Ameerpet. On the next day I joined duty. Mr. Surana, the MD ,was very kind and friendly. He told me openly that I should take over the dept. as early as possible since the present manager was not in the good books of the management. I understood the situation and agreed to do so. I took over the job and started liaison with the staff numbering about ten.  To my surprise, every one was talking in Telugu which I did not know. When I asked them the reason, they said that they did not know good English and they would prefer to talk only in Telugu. I was shocked over this development and did not know what to do. How it did not come to my mind, was another thing. What I was going to do when my staff talk to me in a language that I did not know. I thought that this might even be the plan of the manager. The next day, I explained the matter to Mr.Surana but he was helpless and he could not force the staff. Tragedy struck me again.


On hearing the news my wife was speechless. She was spellbound and shocked. We did not know what to do do. We were in the middle of the road in Ameerpet crying. Fear of the future engulfed me like wild waves. It was much more than what it was in 1966. How I am going to manage the situation with two children in school?. I was only 47 and I had another 13 years of service. I was not a professional who could  get a job anytime anywhere I liked. For a graduate only the experience counted and once left his job then he became a waste paper. I have written an article under the caption"WE LEARN FROM OTHER'S EXPERIENCE". I thought about my father and his advice to do 3 year diploma. If I had done AMIE also, I would have become an engineer. My life would have been different. How prophetic he was!!!  O'God, why you are torturing me like this? What sin I had committed? What wrong I have done to others? Why misfortune strike me continuously.  You gave me some prosperity, why can't you give me peace of mind?. Where is PEACE? I started searching for PEACE.


We shall continue in Part 3.








2 comments :

  1. Ram Ramani
    4:10 AM (2 hours ago)

    to me, Gowri
    Got a chance to go through both the parts just today. Part 2 is definitely more exciting! Surprised that you remember so many small details in part 1 :) Look forward to part 3.

    Regards

    ReplyDelete

  2. Vijayalakshmi B
    5:46 PM (1 hour ago)

    to me
    I have the 2nd part and the 3 rd one yet to start.

    ReplyDelete