Monday, May 16, 2016

WHO SPOILED THE KIDS ?

Hi friends,

I am the mother of my children. You are just a grandmother. You always give them freedom. You never said no to them. When I wanted to discipline them, to brush on their own, to comb their hair, to eat the food, to dress up, to sleep on time, to do homework you interfered in everything.


I don't want them to be spoiled. They will turn into bad guys. They will never learn discipline, to do their work, to wait for the other, to share and care. When they were babies,  I wanted them to sleep on their own, but you held them on your shoulders.


Every time you run to their help. How will they learn to be on their own? You get them nice gifts. How can you do that? They are very happy and excited about your gifts. What they will think about me? 


When they come back from school, they run to you. You made their favourite dishes and even sweets. Naturally, they come to you instead of me. I don't want them to come to you. Grandmothers always spoil the kids. I even wanted to send you off.


Until you are no more.


How can I explain to them? How can I tell them what death is? They won't believe me. They will not accept. They are crying for you. I understand now how important you are. I understand how much they loved you. You have left so soon and so suddenly.


They are now doing their work without my help. They score good marks. They take their classes seriously, They found love in your cooking, stories, loving words, singing, emergency medicines, and above all in your affection.


I was wrong. I did not understand you. My kids miss you badly. You are one of their best friends and a great fan always smiling and cheerful. They miss your talking, your words of wisdom, encouragement, and above all your love for them.


Every time they now achieve, I think about the harsh words I told you. I want you to come back. I won't say a word. Bring your sweets, gifts, their favourite snacks, take them anywhere you like and love them as before.

.
I know you cannot come back. You have the capacity to find out from their faces whether they are confident or bored or thirsty or scared. Come back and listen to them how they have improved. 

Their eyes are bright with passion. See them in their new dress, watch their hairstyle, how it blows in the wind. The years have moved and they are becoming adults and more responsible.


You have never left them. You loved them so much. It gave you joy and purpose. Your love is what they are and what they will be. I thank you for what you have done for them. I wonder whether you could come back again.


Your loving daughter/daughter/in law

2 comments :

  1. Vijayalakshmi B
    8:21 AM (9 minutes ago)

    to me
    Very nicely written. I hope all grand children will definitely think about their grandma, especially the grownup ones.
    They will be reminded of most of the things, if by chance they don't remember.
    Thanks Viji

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gowri Ramkumar
    8:43 AM (22 minutes ago)

    to me
    Dear Mama,
    Great read!
    Interesting style of writing and expressing.. very different from your other pieces.

    Grandmoms are the best people God created. So loving, gentle, kind, forgiving, indulging.. what else could a person want in life.

    Love,
    Gow

    ReplyDelete