Friday, April 15, 2016

THE AGONY OF A DEPRIVED OLD SOUL

Hi friends,

Hey, do you remember me? I am your father. I turn 85 today. You may not remember it. I want to talk to you. I know you are very busy. You have work to attend to, children to take care and you are running here and there, to make money.


You are wealthy. You have all the money in the world. You have given me the comforts. How long I can lye on this cot? How long I can stare at the ceiling? How long I can listen to the same music? My back pains. Just hold me up for a while.


My hands are shaky. I am unable to hold and read the book or dial the phone. My eyesight is failing and the letters are small. The broth, the maid gives, is tasteless. I miss your mother. If she is alive, life would have been heaven.


Please sit near me and look at me. See my cloudy eyes. The grey hairs are withering. The skin has become shrunken and wrinkled and eyes cataracts clouded. It is due to age. You are smiling at me, but I see no love in your smile. 


Loneliness kills. Do you see a father in me? I have lived my life. I love you so much unlike anyone else in this world. I would spare anything and everything just for sharing a few minutes with you. You feel sad when you read about the death of old people. 


Your heart bleeds when people die suddenly when they are young. But you do not even care to notice I become old every day just before your eyes. You are only busy making money. Still, my love for you remains the same even at the time of my death.


I may not be here tomorrow; I may not be here next week. Someday, you will shed tears for me and you will feel sorry that you did not have the time to spend with me. I love you so much and your sorrow will touch my heart deep.


We are together now. We shall talk, heart to heart, not as a father and son, but as friends. I may tell you something about myself and about life. I decided to have you in my life because I wanted someone to share my love with. But you are very different. 


I know you fully well. You are my son and I love you so much. Let the time slow down for us to talk. Speak with your heart, and I shall know your heart. Life is very short. So please come and we shall share at least these last moments together.


4 comments :


  1. Sainath Jayaram
    12:05 PM (18 hours ago)

    to me
    i will tell amma and appa to take me to your haouse fpr a cup of coffee..

    ReplyDelete

  2. Sandeep Jayaram 5:16 PM (13 hours ago)
    This is amazing mama, can we video chat?

    ReplyDelete

  3. vidya anand
    8:33 PM (10 hours ago)

    to me
    Dear Mama

    Did you actually write this! Wow! So beautifully written and touching too.

    It's true that we neglect the older folks as they grow old as they are no longer fun to be with or talk too.

    Patti feels happy if you just call her or spend some time giving her attention. I make sure I talk to Amma atleast once a day to assure her that she is in my thoughts and also to assure myself that she is fine.

    I will try my best to make an effort to keep in touch with the other senior people in the family too.

    Take care

    Vidu

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gowri Ramkumar
    3:29 AM (3 hours ago)

    to me
    Dear Mama,
    Beautifully written! Hats off for expressing the deepest emotions with ease.

    You are right - we don't quite value what we have today and almost never see the grand picture of life. We keep running around - afraid that we may drop to our death or fail miserably, if we don't.

    Although I do realize the value of people and relationships and hold that dear to my heart - I agree that I never find the time to cherish those relationships or let the person know about it.

    Tears have filled up and threatening to roll down my cheeks and I am blinking furiously, attempting to swallow them into my eyes.

    Lots of love,
    Gowri

    ReplyDelete