Tuesday, September 3, 2024

Eating with the hands !!

Why do Indians eat with hands? 


A Great Indian Monk visited United Kingdom to preach spirituality to his disciples. 


One day, he was invited by the mayor for lunch. The mayor was a very good host. He prepared Monk’s favourite food with lavish presentation. 


The Monk arrived for the lunch. He could see the beautiful leaves plates (to provide the ethnicity), fork, knives, spoon and all the etiquette were maintained. 


The food was served on his plate. The Monk did Namaste (it's a Indian tradition to do namaste to the food before eating) and started to eat with his hands. 


Mayor felt insulting as the monk did not use the cutlery. Mayor: Sir, I request you to use the spoon for eating. Monk: No, I would like to eat with my hands, afterall it's my culture.


Mayor again felt bad because he thought he did so much to make the Monk comfortable but he (monk) didn't accept his request. 


Later after the lunch, Mayor: Sir, I know there must be some reason for not using the spoon. Can you please tell me, if I could have arranged something for you. 


Monk: No, no. The lunch was amazing. I liked it. But I didn't wanted to use the spoon. Mayor: But why sir?? 


Monk (smiling): The spoon that you have provided, might have been used by many other people before me. But my hand (fingers) I have used throughout my lifetime to feed only myself. So my hand is the purest form of cutlery to have my food. 


As per our Indian culture having food with hand brings a great connection with the food which brings sensory experience, and mindfulness.

No comments :

Post a Comment